20 September 2013

National Parks and The Ken Burns Special

Rocky Mountain National Park
Flickr.com - Max and Dee Stark

I'll do this in a short  post here, and put together something more comprehensive later on the big site.

I just got done watching Ken Burns's The National Parks: America's Best Idea on my Roku and I really want to go to some more National Parks. I told Mary that I'd like to take a couple of weeks each year to do a group of them. So I decided I needed to list what ones I have been to (and if my family remembers any that I forgot, please remind me...)

First, the Parks or Monuments that have been turned into Parks...
Rocky Mountain National Park
Badlands National Park (Monument when we saw it when I was a kid)
Theodore Roosevelt National Park
Great Sand Dunes National Park (it was a monument when my youth group climbed an adjacent mountain).

National Historic Parks and Battlefields...
Gettysburg NMP
Petersburg NB
Allegheny Portage Railroad NHSite
Cumberland Gap NHP
Lewis & Clark NHP (most recent)

National Lakeshores...
Sleeping Bear Dunce NL

That's all I can remember. I think Mary and I have a lot of ground to cover.


No comments: